Saturday 28 June 2014

Still in the Caprivi, Kalizo

I've been waiting for a couple of days to tell you this story but didn't want to jump the gun. So after leaving Ngepi we made our way to the Great Zambezi River. To a place called Kalezo Fishing Camp. As Dave's running the marathon at Vic Falls on Sunday he needed to get some milage in so I had to drop him off 13 km from camp and he would meet me there and hopefully I would have the camp all set up or close to set up as possible. Off I go and a bit further the turning I need to take is a winding jeep type track. Suddenly I come across some very thick sand and no time to engage the diff lock so ..... Bam I'm stuck. I walked back to see the sign and make sure I was on the right road, sure enough I was and right next to where I stopped was a little village with very friendly people that were happy to watch me in my precarious position. Thankfully a little while later another vehicle comes careering around the bend but not expecting me to be stopped right in the middle of the track, just managed to miss my rear end. There were three black men in the Bakkie and I know it's not politically correct to say this but I was on my own and more than a little worried. They passed me and stopped a little way further, got out the car and I thought this was the end of me until they came up to me and showed me how to drive a 2x4 in 4x4 territory. They gave me a push and after getting stuck one more time were every happy to oblige me again. Then they told me to follow them as we had to make our way through some deep water. My heart was jumping out my chest but I put foot and hoped for the best, which happened as I didn't get stuck again. They then left me as I had to go in another direction but after getting through the water, I knew if it could be done it would. It did cross my mind that Dave wouldn't believe I had driven through there and he was pleasantly surprised. All this just adds to the adventure..

Dave off on his run

Playing in the sand with a 2x 4

The great guys that helped me





Room with a view :-))



Female (left) and Male (right) Pied Kingfishers
White breasted Bee Eaters








No comments:

Post a Comment